Saturday, March 30, 2024

Sep 1, 2019 Iowa Farm Country One Morning

Many days were spent exploring and photographing Iowa’s driftless region - trout streams, trickling waterfalls, lookout points over the Mississippi River, and the Effigy Mounds. But as I checked off all these locations on my list, it was the bucolic farm country landscape that remained unchecked. It was everywhere, but it eluded me photographically. I wished to capture it only under certain conditions - early morning fog over the hilly landscape or a dramatic afternoon storm rolling across the uninterrupted sky.

Our home in Iowa farm country

I located a roadside lookout that provided a panoramic view of farm country without a road interrupting it. But the atmospheric conditions that bring out the best of the landscape never materialized, until our final day in Iowa. I woke up before sunrise and sat drinking my coffee when I rolled up the window blinds to peer outside into the pitch dark. Despite the darkness, the heavy fog was obvious. This is it! I quickly gathered up my gear and drove to the lookout point only 3 miles away.

Click to enlarge

I set up the tripod and had the 70-400mm lens attached to the camera. At first, I faced the east where the sun’s predawn light began to appear. It was a glorious site unfolding, miles of undulating hills covered with flowing veils of fog. The sky awakened in colors and the fluid fog created an ever-changing view. Facing the sun, I worked the scene only to turn around and see an equally beautiful one. For well over an hour, I ran back and forth between two designated points of view.

Click to enlarge

An abstraction of celestial light, the fog covers the earth in soft transitions over the ghostly silhouettes of trees, granting a blend of ethereal impressions. The sun’s light through the aerosol offers variations in tones and hues - red, blue, orange, yellow. All this became a playful game of continuously changing light and color. Better yet, fog removes clutter by covering it with an intangible blanket of light that varies in thickness. These scenes are fitting to a photographer that favors abstraction or minimalism.

Click to enlarge

The long zoom lens gives an infinite number of compositions to choose from. It compresses the hills together which gives the composition a repeating pattern of fog and land, bright and dark. Because of this effect and lack of distortion that is seen through a wide-angle lens, the angle of the long lens can be changed to capture multiple images horizontally that later can be stitched into one image. From the high vantage point, I studied the landscape and discovered ‘pieces’ to capture by zooming in to 100mm or greater. The closest foreground was at least a few hundred feet away. Starting there, I could zoom out to include much of the sky or zoom in to tighten the scene. I could position the lens horizontally or vertically. And I could pan across for multiple shots.

Click to enlarge


Click to enlarge

Traveling presents its own challenges when attempting to photograph on location, especially when limited in time. The best conditions will mostly elude you, so it comes down to luck or simply making the best of what you have. In the case of Iowa’s driftless farm country, I got lucky.

“Where to next?” she asked.

Click to enlarge



No comments:

Post a Comment